13 May 2012
First and foremost we want to wish all of the Buckeye moms out there a very Happy Mother's Day. If the rest of the moms around the B1G have a great day as well then, meh, that's ok too. Now to the week that was....
Ohio State didn't land our next four- or five-star talent this week but, on the bright side, we also didn't have any de-commits after Lewis Neal and Alex Anzalone both pulled their commitments last week. A quick tour around Twitter also shows that our former, current and future Buckeyes are now gathering inspiration on their own now that @BDubsTriviaGuru is behind bars trying to remain inspired himself.
We take a tour around The Buckeye Bloggers Network, as well as the blogs of all eleven other B1G schools, so we can keep an eye on what the enemy has up their sleeve and at the same time overdose you with B1G sports news. It also gives us the opportunity to smear a Scarlet font all over the links of the rest of the conference. Hyperlinks abound - 41 in total.....
The BUCKEYE BLOGGERS NETWORK
- Terrelle Pryor was back in the news this week, care of Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter, and many within Buckeye Nation simply didn't want to hear it. Chris Holloway from UnScripted Ohio came to TP's defense.
- Speaking of controversy, we posted an Ohio State career pictorial of Jim Tressel yesterday here at BHC and it quickly brought the love back out of Buckeye Nation. If you haven't seen it yet, and happen to love Tress as much as we do, it's worth a look.
- We also published a conversation between future in-laws - each rooting for opposite sides of The Rivalry - as BHC's Carrie Janello took on a US Marine who also happens to root for the Wolverines. True fans? Certainly. But some are quite fair weather, and Mitch Goldberg gave us the criteria.
- The guys at The Buckeye Battlecry took a quick trip down memory lane by looking at the legacy of former Ohio State head coach John Cooper, and then brought us up to date on Buckeyes' hoops potential for landing Amile Jefferson out of PA.
- On Wednesday we were still thinking about the connection between the fans and student-athletes, specifically through the ease of social media, and OHD's Charles Kuehn weighed in with his Wednesday Morning Hive.
- Suffering from the hoops and football off-season lull? The Silver Bullet injected some news from all other Ohio State sports that are currently in-season with their Campus Spotlight. For the record - I had NO idea that the OSU Crew team competes as a 'club' sport against schools who have earned their way out of club status - yet they represent the Buckeyes quite well!
- How many read up on the talk of disbanning college football alltogether? The MotSaG crew has a different idea.
THE REST OF THE LEADERS DIVISION
- Badgers RB Monte Ball was arrested last weekend and (GASP!) it wasn't a big deal. May have been bigger news had he been wearing Scarlet and Gray.
- The potential for a college football playoff is finally being discussed by people who can actually make decisions, and well-respected Wisconsin A.D. Barry Alvarez injected his two cents. He even gave a bit of a shoutout to former Buckeye quarterback Kirk Herbstreit.
- After the backlash basketball coach Bo Ryan felt for his decisions surrounding the transfer of Jarrod Uthoff our of Madison, Andy Coppens from MadTown Badgers took exception to the harsh reactions to the story that quickly made national news.
Penn State Nittany Lions
- Head coach Bill O'Brien wants to bring back the Kickoff Classic. After all, how else can PSU expect to get back into national news for the right reasons?
- One of the better breakdowns of the possible college football playoff system came from the guys over at Nittany Lions Den.
- Charges could potentially be dropped from the plate of Penn State officials - over a date error? Jeebus.
- The Boilermakers baseball team ran 14 runs across the plate against Michigan on Saturday to clinch the BiG Championship. BREAKING: Michigan sucks.
- Purdue WR Atavian Edison was arrested last weekend on gun charges after being extremely careful not get caught with his weapon by - running a stop sign.
Illinois Fighting Illini
- Not much going on in Champaign this week, except perhaps my favorite link of the day > Illinois basketball scored a 5th year senior transfer from Coastal Carolina who decided to announce it in the strangest of ways. No, announcing on Twitter isn't all that strange. But throwing a "F*ck it" into your announcement is.
- With the recent ressurgence of Hoosier basketball, Tom Crean has decided to take that momentum out-of-state for recruiting focus which, for the folks in basketball-rick Indiana, that may not be the most popular decision.
- I don't like Hoosiers (or Kentucky) basketball any more than the next Buckeye - but even I was pissed at the news that there won't be a 2012-13 version of the Indiana v Kentucky basketball game.
- 2014 Hoosier commit Trey Lyles (the kid committed to IU before ever playing a single high school game) looks as impressive as ever in recent video.
THE LEGENDS DIVISION
Michigan Wolverines (hhhhhhhhhhock, spit)
- Michigan's rotund hood ornament Brady Hoke has put together quite a start on the 2013 recruiting class and landed his 18th commit this week with 6'3" 185lb WR Csont'e York.
- The Wolverines lost redshirt-freshman 3-Star defensive end Chris Rock to transfer this week - and of course called it 'no harm done' before describing the kid as a developmental project. Of course while recruiting him, the same site said, "Rock is from Ohio, and is one of the higher regarded defensive lineman on Michigan's board." The moral? Don't panic - just minimalize.
- The controversy around Nebraska running backs coach Ron Brown continues, as does his anti-gay message.
- It's do-or-die time for Nebraska football as they enter season five of the Bo Pelini Era.
- Could the state of Nebraska remove Tom Osborne's Athletic Director title and replace it with 'Governor?"
Michigan State Spartans
- An interesting saga around the transfer of DeAnthony Arnett to East Lansing in order to be closer to his ill father. The NCAA's take on having to sit out a year to do so? Well, we're still waiting two months later.
- Pretty cool, categorized analysis of "Penalty Attitude" of different college football programs around the country.
- Black Heart Gold Pants goes all Pro-Combat on the Badgers and the results are....not....not good.
- The Hawkeyes can't figure out how to sign the top recruit from their own state. In fact, they've missed out on #1 five of the last six years.
- There is seriously NOTHING going on in Evanston, unless you like Wildcats lacrosse - in which case we're you're hook up. Read up here, here, here and here. Good God - play some football or something, Northwestern - or at least give us a way-too-early preseason football poll.
Minnesota Golden Gophers
- It now looks like the Vikinigs aren't moving to LA but instead invading the Gophers' TCF Bank Stadium.
- If you wonder what Minnesota thinks of the rest of their Legends division, they told us on Friday. I didn't much care - until I saw how good of a job The Daily Gopher did with their preview.